bunny1.jpg (58608 bytes)

      Osgood with revitalizing troups...
Reginald Boughton Osgood

Reginald Boughton Osgood (Bunny) was born to Charles and Roberta Smyth in Somerset, on July 19, 1883. Reginald was a difficult child. His early years were spend indoors, playing with sticks and carpet raveling. His father a stern Calvinist could barely tolerate his son's presence and formally disowned him in 1895. Roberta was always supportive of her son and is reported to have spent much of the milk money buying him twine to play with. At 12 years of age, Reginald was nearly struck by lightening during of his rare forays to the out of doors. This event was a turning point for him. As if a hidden switch had been thrown Reginald eschewed convention , took the sir name Osgood, and began a life of adventure and daring. His first act was to join the local Postal Stamp club and rapidly came into leadership. He is best remembered locally as the first lad to perform the "dog doo-doo/paper bag trick" on the local vicar. Other societies and clubs in the area came to fear the "Stampers" as they were known. The Stampers were ruthless in performing all kinds of public good. There exists reported case of a Stamper knocking aside one of Baden-Powells's Boy Scouts, and carrying a blind man across an empty road..

Schooling was important to Osgood, as he took several correspondence courses in auto mechanics, cartooning, and weight lifting. His interests soon turned to girls and was the local swain. Earning the nickname "Bunny" for his prowess with the women, he was nonetheless honorable with his love interests. However, the scope of his affairs soon led to the need to move on.

In the wee hour of the morning during his great escape of 1911, he came upon an open field were sat a strange contraption. Stumbling over a sleeping man. Shocked, both men first scuffled. Soon they tired and began to laugh at the situation. The aviator, one Bernie Lipkawitz, explained what the machine was and what it did. Bunny sat in rapt attention as Bernie told of his adventures in flying those six miles to this field. Osgood then knew the direction his life must take.

Heading for the nearest "Gentleman's Club" to revitalized himself, Osgood was accosted by thugs and essentially kidnapped. Awakened by the splash of sea water in his face, he found himself bound and aboard a ship. For two weeks he traveled in the most deplorable conditions. There was no wine, no women and the sailors could hardly carry a tune. Gaining the confidence of his captors he was allowed to roam the ship and quickly asserted himself as leader. However the current thug in charge took exception to Osgood's claim and sold him to a passing Moslem steamer bound for Cairo. This ship, the Hakem, was carrying archeological supplies for a "digger" studying the Holy Places of Mecca and Egypt. Sensing a way out this most precarious of situations, Osgood learned all he could of archeology and when the ship docked, convinced the captain of his worth to the "digger". Taken with pluck of the prisoner and the prospect of enhanced profit so captivated the captain, that he arranged the sale of Osgood to the archeologist.

Thomas Edward Lawerence the "digger" recognized the plight of Osgood at once and agreed to pay the sale price. Never intending to keep Osgood as a slave but rendering assistance to a fellow country man, Lawerence did make Osgood work off his debt by carrying the unloaded supplies to his dig site. Upon discharging his duty, Osgood had no clue where he was or what to do. TE suggested that Bunny look up the local military post and perhaps could get a good meal and clothes.

Walking for days Bunny found a solitary tent set up in the desert, somewhere near Port Said. As he entered the darkness of the tent a voice called, "Eh Wot another recruit? ..SAR- GENT! sign 'em up and get 'em flying". Thus Bunny Osgood came to the Lost Squadron and on to become on of her most outstanding officers and pilots.

back.jpg (2671 bytes)